Technology Demons

I get the same response 90% of the time someone asks for my contact information....
"You don't have a cell phone?  How can someone your age not have a cell phone."  long pause followed by "...you know I wish sometimes that I didn't have this cell phone, I think that is awesome you make it work."

Now I usually follow up with its only a matter of time that I will have to give in.  However, this last summer has made me less likely to "give in".  These technology demons for me are, cell phones, facebook, twitter, texting, pinterest, email, Television, video games for the most part.   Technology is great and I have greatly benefited from it since high school and actually have loved keeping up with the latest and greatest.  I still do, but now I wonder if I really need or just want it.  

This summer was filled with trips to waterton-glacier National Park.  And yes, trips, plural.  We went up there twice.  Due to rain the first trip I had to pull out the occasional movie or let them play a video game on the Nintendo DSi, but for the most part it was playing with cousins or hiking to pristine glacier lakes to catch fish and enjoy the scenery.  I didn't need technology to have a good time. We talked about things, we sang songs, we got exercise by hiking, and just enjoyed each other's company.  I didn't need cell phone, didn't really need the Internet except to keep maintenance and control of my ever growing email.  Vacations are good to help bring to perspective what really is needed!

Do I need a cell phone, facebook, twitter, texting, etc.  Nope.  I find that I enjoy talking to my family, that my kids are growing up too fast and that I wonder if I'm missing it.  I also find that my pocketbook also thanks me for not doing the cell phone.  I have Internet and I get what I need from it.  But its true that if I don't keep myself in check all the time I might succumb to endless money sink hole that is called the cell phone. 


Comments

Popular Posts