The organ

This month marks a one year milestone of a forever calling, playing the organ in church.  Yep, a year ago I was "asked" to play the organ for my church.  It was not an easy one to swallow.  First,  I had to explain to our leader that the organ IS NOT a piano and I only know how to play the piano.  Second, that I would not attempt to try anything in public unless I had a few lessons.  At first I think I shocked my Bishop with my response, I even found myself shocked at my response as well.  I usually just say yes and figure it out on my own.  This time I said, yes, but explained what needed to happen in order for me to even attempt such a fate.  Part of me really wanted to say absolutely no way.  I really had no desire to play the organ, an instrument I personally thought was fine for churches with great echoing cathedrals and open spaces, but not suitable to how our churches today function.  I came out of the discussion feeling quite puzzled and wondering why?

Over the next few weeks I struggled and conquered.  Even though I absolutely hated the instrument and think its a waste of valuable funds for a modern church I took on the challenge.  Little did I realize it was an answer to many questions about myself.  See, I love challenges!  I love going after something that those around me say it isn't possible due to status, circumstances, whatever,  you name it.  I get tons of satisfaction not only for myself that I made it through, but watching peoples reactions when it turns out good or bad.  I had forgotten this little attribute about myself and I found it again with the organ.  I also realized that dang it I LOVE music!  I'm good at it and I had forgotten that.  I love the daily push and discipline needed for music.  I was a band nerd and loved it!  At times I wished I could have done it all, learned to sing, dance, act, drama all of the arts, but dang it I to many conflicts with High School schedules and not to mention I had to fit in Math, Science, Reading, Writing. (BTW - loved those subjects too.  I struggle with writing and grammar, but maybe one day I'll make that effort to learn better.)

The final truth comes down to one thought and that is I love to LEARN.  Doesn't matter what it is, I love to search it out and do it.  The organ playing reminded me of this attribute and yep, still have no love of the instrument, but I have a lot more admiration and respect for those who have made this there passion.  And I have gained a new skill, what harm is in that.


Comments

Popular Posts